These 3 terms are attached to each other.
Common definition of Power, Horses power and Torque are continuously—–
• it is a work done in a given period of time.
“Capacity of doing a work within the certain time period”.
• Doing the same amount of work in a lasser time would
require more power.
•Horse power is a common unit of Power.
• Power is the rate at which work is done. Rate at which the engine can do work is measured in horse power(HP).
• Any force applied on same point to cause a turning effect is called Torque (T).
• The piston applies a torque to the crankshaft through the connecting rod and crank where it is moving down on the power stroke.
• The amount of torque depends on the pressure exerted by the piston and length of crank arm.
• The greater the push on the piston, the greater the torque.
• Torque is a twisting force that the engine applies through the crankshaft, whereas power is the rate at which the engine work.
• It is denoted by Nm(Newton-Metre).